Let's see ... awesome, opulant, relaxing, crazy ... all good words!
Sometimes, just one picture says it all! ("Hi, I'm 16! And cute! And available! Call me!")
Here's the recap:
We left SLC on 12/5/08 at 9 am. It was a miserable 15 degrees at the airport. (Rylee was in capris?!) We arrived in Phoenix at 11 am. It was a balmy 72 degrees! This is the way to live! I immediately rolled up my jeans and took off my sweatshirt and coat and prepared for a few days of fun in the sun!
We went straight to the hotel in Scottsdale ... the Westin Kierland Resort! A beautiful hotel with very nice amenities.


Our personal assistant had prepared for our arrival by setting up a little birthday surprise in the room for Rylee. How sweet!

After we got settled in, we decided to go to lunch. Rylee's request: SUSHI! So we found a great little place just down the street from the hotel called Sushi Brokers. We had bento boxes, seaweed salad and about 4 different rolls for lunch. (Just a light snack before the big dinner!)
On Friday evening, we attended a work event for me; Anasazi was having their 20th anniversary gala at the hotel. It was a really fancy event ... formal wear, a silent auction, famous performers, etc. Brooke White from American Idol performed. So did this famous composer; Rylee couldn't get over how cheesy and "fwam" he was. Great to listen to, but hard to watch with all the weird faces.
We also had another delicious meal. We had salmon and filet mignon. Plus creme brulee and cheesecake for dessert. DELICIOUS!
On Saturday, we took it really easy! We slept in till about 11 am. Then went out for a quick lunch and to grab snacks for the pool. We spent the rest of the afternoon soaking up the sun at the pool. We ate the most juicy pomegranates I've ever had! (So sorry that I don't have any pictures of Rylee being so mean to me in the lazy river!) She kept dumping me off my tube and touching me with her feet. GROSS! Here's a few shots of the pool day ...
On Saturday night, we went to another Anasazi event. They held a benefit concert in Mesa where the Gin Blossoms performed. They weren't that great, but one of the opening acts was really great. His name is Benton Paul. He's a cute little guy, originally from Utah. Now touring the US doing concerts. He's got a very mellow, folksy sound. (Check him out on ITunes.) Rylee loved him. Maybe you can tell from the picture ...
After the concert, we walked around the downtown area for a bit. Mesa has surely changed since I've been gone. (Oh, yeah, that was 30 years ago! I'm so OLD!) Here's a few pics of us in Mesa ...


On Sunday, we drove to Sedona to meet one of my collegues for lunch. It was such beautiful red rock country there! Ry & I had to stop to take a few photos. (OK, I made her take a picture with me. She was not too happy to oblige!)

After a bit of sightseeing, we drove back to Scottsdale on Sunday night, just in time to get a spa treatment. Rylee got a manicure and pedicure. Just fresh nails for me!
After the spa, we went out for sushi ... again at Sushi Brokers! Hey, go with what you know! It was still delicious, and all half-price because we made it for Happy Hour! Boy, was I happy! Anyone who's been out to eat with me will not be surprised to hear that I over-ordered just a bit. (Hey, half price?!) We had tempura, calamari, sushi, soup, the works! And ate until we were stuffed!Then back to the hotel for a dip in the hot tub ...
Rylee stayed up late every night watching movies. I was out like a light by 10 pm. (I know, Grandma Jan!)On Monday, I had an appointment in Tuscon, so we drove for a few hours south. Rylee slept while I jammed to the oldies station (80's and 90's). I woke her up several times with my lovely singing. (You should have seen the stink face I got!) Anyway, we went to lunch in Tuscon with a couple of ladies that I work with ... life partners ... that Rylee really got a kick out of. She'll have plenty to talk about for weeks! We ate at the Arizona Inn, a historical hotel there. Very pretty, with a croquet lawn in the back just for kicks! (Not really my kind of thing?!)
Rylee & I hung out in the great room for awhile after our "friends" left ... here's a picture of her strategizing about her next move ...
We flew home from Tuscon on Monday night, returning to the freezing cold of Tooele! It was a great trip with a great girl!

2 comments:
WoW! What a way to ring in the 16!!! Nice Jan! Can you plan my next birthday party?
Ditto, to what Tami said. I have a birthday coming up, you know. Sounds like you guys had a great time!!
Post a Comment