Friday, July 18, 2008

Tupu's BIG birthday party ... SURPRISE!


Right after Rory's ordination, we all headed out to East Seas to make final preparations for a surprise party for Grandma Tupu. She turns 70 in September; this was an early birthday party in her honor, as part of a weekend of celebrating with family.


(This is a picture of Tupu, Ed & Laura's youngest daughter. She's a character! She came to sit by me because she needed someone to cut her huli huli chicken. And then she went back for three more pieces of the stuff! She's so cute!)




(On a side note: I got a ticket for speeding on the way to the big event. And found out that the tinting on my car is too dark and has to be fixed right away. Fun day!)


Boy, do the Mulitalo's know how to throw a party! There was great food, Polynesian dancing, a live band, and lots of reconnecting with family and old friends. It was quite the event! And I think that Tupu was truly surprised. She thought she was going to a reunion dinner. She scolded me afterwards for saying goodbye to her at the house and not telling her the plans. Sorry!



Here's a picture of the great food: chop suey (Lani's favorite!), taro, corned beef, fried fish, macaroni salad ... and on and on!


Rylee and the older girls were in charge of serving the meal and taking care of the guests. Baylee and Rory both danced in several numbers in the program.


Here's a video of the boys doing the Haka:



And a picture of Rory & Amona, posing before their big dance! Silly boys!


Lani and Craig came along for the ride ... Payton was a bit overwhelmed by all the "brown folks", but immediately took to Rory ... I guess he's just got a way with the ladies?!




Baylee just can't bring herself to smile .... maybe that's why Payton looks so terrified?!

Anyway, the evening was was lots of fun ...


Here's one last picture of Lima, Ed & Laura's oldest daughter. She just turned 8 and will start the 3rd grade this fall. And she's not excited about it and not afraid to tell anyone who asks why. Funny girl!

Last, but not least, I thought you might enjoy a video of the girls dancing. You'll notice Lima in the front row, with Baylee behind her. If I'm not mistaken, I think Baylee actually smiles during her performance. You won't want to miss it!

1 comment:

Tami said...

OK...I felt bad that we weren't there to support Rory. Ted told me that he told you he had school, so don't plan on us. WEll, I said I could go with the boys, just find out the time. Friday came and I remembered it was THE day, but Ted was on his way to school and said he thought it probably already started. Anyways, know that if I can make it with the boys while Ted is at school, I will. Just inform me. I really am not a snobby sister-in-law.